TWELFTH BIENNIAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BAROQUE MUSIC
Warsaw, 26th-30th July 2006
|Here are some key places (marked by numbers 1-11 on the map) in the city
centre of Warsaw during the conference:
For the map of a wider area of the city, click this link (PDF, 874 KB).
The Royal Castle – a former residence of kings of Poland and the place where the first Polish constitution was announced in 1791.
Royal Łazienki (Al. Ujazdowskie/Agrykola) - palace on the island and park complex, owes its shape to the last king of Poland, Stanisław August. It is the largest park in Warsaw, in the English style, placed next to the Belvedere building.
Wilanów - summer residence where king Jan Sobieski III used to return from his victorious battles. It is surrounded by a Baroque garden (30 minutes by bus from the City Centre).
Palace of Science and Culture (Defilad Square 1) – built in 1955 as a gift of Soviet Nation for Poland, nowadays used by museums, culture centres, cinemas and theatres. The Viewing Terrace on the 30th floor.
The Frederick Chopin Museum at the Frederick Chopin Society in Warsaw (Ostrogski Castle, Okolnik 1) – The Museum's collection encompasses autographs by Chopin and also by persons of his milieu as well as various documents and memorabilia connected in direct or indirect way with the composer's personality and his work, such as portraits, posters, objects of personal use.
Warsaw Rising Museum (Grzybowska 79) -- commemorates Warsaw Rising 1944
Last updated on 22 June 2006